In Tennessee, there are several degrees of the crime of rape, depending on the specifics of the crime. The maximum penalty is 30 years in prison and a $25,000 fine for rape, which is a Class B felony. Aggravated rape is a Class A felony and carries harsher penalties, including a prison term of up to 60 years.
If you are accused of the serious crime of rape, you need to consult the experienced James R. Owen team. Their expertise and experience will assure you get the best representation possible.
Rape is the unlawful sexual penetration of a victim in any of the following circumstances:
- Using force or coercion.
- Penetration without the consent of the victim.
- Penetration of a victim who is mentally defective, mentally incapacitated or physically incapacitated.
- Penetration through fraud.
Aggravated Rape is the unlawful sexual penetration of a victim in any of the following circumstances:
- Force or coercion when the accused is armed with a weapon or a device that leads the victim to reasonably to believe it to be a weapon.
- The accused causes bodily injury to the victim
- The accused is aided or abetted by one of more accomplices and force or coercion is used or the accused knows the victim to be mentally defective, mentally incapacitated or physically incapacitated.
Stalking is defined as a willful course of conduct involving repeated or continued harassment of another individual that would cause that person and a reasonable person to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, threatened, harassed, or molested. Common examples are:
- Following someone by car or on foot.
- Showing up, uninvited, to a person’s home or business.
- Making repeated, unwanted, phone calls that cause fear or are harassing.
- Sending multiple emails or text messages that cause fear or are harassing.
- Repeated unwanted contact by any means.
The penalties for stalking range from a Class A misdemeanor to a Class E or C felony if the accused is on the sex offender registry or a repeat offender.
If you have been charged with rape or stalking, these are serious crimes. You need knowledgeable and experienced legal help. James R. Owen and his team are here to defend you.
FREE LEGAL CONSULTATION
If you have been accused of a crime, we want to talk to you. If you have a court date scheduled, please provide that information.